Friday, April 14, 2006

Worthy is the Lamb who was slain!

On the Crucifixion:

"You lived on earth, King of Heaven, to lead me to heaven--I who had been cast out of paradise.
You were born in the flesh of the Virgin to give me birth in the spirit.
You suffered insults to silence the mouths of my enemies who denounced me.
You abased yourself, you who are higher than all honours, in order to honour me, the dishonoured.
You wept to wipe the tears from my eyes.
You sighed, grieved, sorrowed to save me from sighing, grieving, suffering pain through eternity, to give me eternal joy and gladness.
You were sold and betrayed that I might be freed, I who was enslaved.
You were bound that my bonds might be broken.
You were submitted to an unjust trial--you who are Judge of all the earth--that I might be freed from eternal judgment.
You were made naked in order to clothe me in the robes of salvation, in the garments of gladness.
You were crowned with thorns, that I might receive the crown of life.
You were called the king in mockery--you, the King of all!--to open the kingdom of heaven for me.
Your head was lashed with a reed that my name should be written in the book of life.
You suffered outside the city gates in order to lead me, one who had been cast out of paradise, into the eternal Jerusalem.
You were put among evil men--you who are the only just one--that I, the unjust, might be justified.
You were cursed, the One Blessed, that I, the accursed, should be blessed.
You shed your blood that my sins might be cleansed away.
You were given vinegar to drink that I might eat and drink at the feast in your kingdom.
You died, you who are the life of all--in order to revive me, the dead.
You were laid in the tomb that I might rise from the tomb.
You were brought to life again that I might believe in my resurrection."
--St. Tikhon of Zadonsk

I always find it amazing that throughout the New Testament, when the word "crucified" or "slain" is used of Jesus Christ, it almost always in the present perfect tense in the Greek. In other words, "the Lamb who was slain" (Revelation 5:12) is a perpetual descriptive characteristic of the Son of God. Paul could say to the Galatians that "Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified" [present perfect] (3:1). It wasn't just a one-time thing; it is who He is for all of eternity!

When John is taken up to heaven while being shown the Revelation of Jesus Christ, the first representation of Christ that he sees is "a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain [present perfect--indicating a continuous state], standing in the centre of the throne" (5:6). And the praise that is being offered up by the heavenly beings is not because "You have taken dominion over the earth" or "You have judged all the wicked" or even "You have risen and ascended." No, the heavenly accolades centre on one all-important aspect of Christ's work: "You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation" (Revelation 5:9).

"Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honour and glory and power!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Considering that we were composing our respective posts at virtually the same time, I think it's quite possible that we were separated at birth. Except you got the sexier half.

I've been reading some reflections on Luther's Heidelburg Disputation and his idea of becoming a theologian of the cross. Putting aside the routine Reformed arguments, like whether we can participate in our salvation, the sobering thought is that we are called to be willing to share in His suffering.

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. (Rom. 8:18)