Friday, February 17, 2006

The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible

Anybody who has ever heard me speak about the imbalance of Christian literature in the English speaking world as opposed to the rest of the world will know that I am about the last person who would recommend that Christians in the western world buy yet another Bible. However, this is one that I have to mention.

The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible was recently produced by Richard Foster's ministry, Renovare. The editors include Foster, Thomas C. Oden, Gayle Beebe, Lynda L. Graybeal, Dallas Willard, Walter Brueggemann, and Eugene H. Peterson. Each book of the Bible also has a commentary by an eminent scholar on that book.

But the great thing about the Spiritual Formation Bible is its theme of "The With-God Life". Everything about this Bible is designed to lead the reader into a life of continual union with God, learning to practice the presence of God. It offers numerous helps as to how that can be accomplished, and often breaks into the text of Scripture to challenge the reader to reflect on a particular point and how it relates to "my life". There are a number of essays that show how the Scripture develops this theme of "The With-God Life" from Genesis to Revelation.

The commentaries are not academic babble that will lose the average reader. Instead they are notes that point the reader to recognising the way that each particular text relates to their present situation. The comments are wide-ranging. I've seen quotes from Simon and Garfunkel songs, and I've seen recommendations to buy the book In the Heart of the Desert: The Spirituality of the Desert Fathers and Mothers by John Chryssavgis, as a starting point for understanding the spiritual discipline of Solitude. There are also excerpts from spiritual classics by writers such as Thomas a Kempis and Julian of Norwich.

One thing that may surprise readers is that the Inter-testamental books, or Apocrypha, is included. If you, like me, grew up in a conservative protestant home, you may think that the Apocrypha is not to be looked at, much less read. However, there is a great deal of valuable writing from that time, and the Renovare Bible, while not counting them as equal to the Scripture, certainly considers the apocryphal books as worthy of at least one reading. For example, I personally found the Greek rendering of the Book of Esther a great help as an additional text to the book by the same name found in the Old Testament.

All in all, this is a Bible I would highly recommend for any Christian who is serious about being transformed into the likeness of Christ. I think it is one of the greatest tools to be provided in a number of years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree. I love mine, and, at $39US, I didn't feel like a spendthrift for picking it up (::cough::dakes::cough).

The problem is, because of the Apocrypha, it's freakin' HUGE! I can't get my regular sized Ichthys bible cover around it. Not even my XL WWJD cover will work. What about my silent witness???